Re: [Monotone-devel] Error handling via automate

From: Timothy Brownawell
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Error handling via automate
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2006 22:00:42 -0500

On Sun, 2006-09-10 at 12:34 +1000, Daniel Carosone wrote:
> > Possibly the structure of SMTP/HTTP/FTP/... style response codes are a
> > useful precedent?  Or possibly there should be a small set of errors
> > defined on a per-command basis?
> Would an 'automate' locale/translation, with machine-friendly messages
> like this, be unreasonable?

Probably, yes. I don't really think that's the kind of thing gettext is
designed for. (Also, AIUI, using gettext would require that you actually
*install* monotone, so the translation files get put in the right place.
Probably not a nice thing to require for making automate work

Better to just have our errors include an error code and not rely on
translation machinery for that.

Free (experimental) public monotone hosting: