[Monotone-devel] pointer arithmetics in C++

From: Markus Schiltknecht
Subject: [Monotone-devel] pointer arithmetics in C++
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 22:17:05 +0200

I know, I know, it's evil. I want to do some pointer arithmetics anyway... I need to build a hash or digest or something from three 'unsigned int' values and a pointer.

The simplest thing I came up with is XORing all four values. But I've had a hard time convincing the compiler to do what I wanted...

I came up with that (simplified):

get_digest(int foo, shared_ptr<struct bar> baz)
        return foo | *reinterpret_cast<int*>(b.get())

Is reinterpret_cast right here? What does that mean? Where can I find documentation about all the different _cast methods? Should I use a by-reference argument, i.e.:

get_digest(int foo, shared_ptr<struct bar> & const baz)

Help greatly appreciated.