Re: [Monotone-devel] monotone server crash

From: Ulf Ochsenfahrt
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] monotone server crash
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2006 22:45:06 +0200

Hi there!

Just writing in to let you know that this still happens with the most current version from the monotone repository.

The error can be easily recreated by taking two machines, running one as a server and the other as a client and then pulling the network cable on the client machine. The timeout can be quite longish, 1/2 hour to 1 hour.

This is a DoS vulnerability. It is possible to use this vulnerability to bring down any publicly accessible monotone server.

IMHO, the code in netsync.cc serve_connections around line 2718 needs to be hardened against network failures on client connections.

Cheers,

-- Ulf

Ulf Ochsenfahrt wrote:
Hi,

I'm sorry, I was in a hurry. Here's the complete bug report:

I was running mtn serve on my server (Debian sarge).

monotone 0.28 (base revision: 8c6ce7cb2ccd21290b435e042c2be4554ec6a048)
Running on          : Linux 2.4.27 #1 Mon Aug 7 20:11:57 CEST 2006 i686
C++ compiler        : GNU C++ version 3.3.5 (Debian 1:3.3.5-13)
C++ standard library: GNU libstdc++ version 20050304
Boost version       : 1_32
Changes since base revision:
unknown

My home network connection is currently a bit unreliable. I failed just while I was syncing. The server produced this error message:

mtn: fatal: std::runtime_error: network error: recv failure: Connection timed out
mtn:
mtn: this is almost certainly a bug in monotone.
mtn: please send this error message, the output of 'mtn --full-version',
mtn: and a description of what you were doing to address@hidden
mtn: wrote debugging log to /home/ulfjack/.monotone/dump
mtn: if reporting a bug, please include this file

I've gzip'd the dump and attached it to this email.

My home machine is running the latest version of monotone in debian unstable.

Cheers,

-- Ulf