Re: [Monotone-devel] Performance improvement splitout

From: Timothy Brownawell
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Performance improvement splitout
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 13:41:19 -0500

On Mon, 2006-09-18 at 11:08 -0700, Eric Anderson wrote:
> Nathaniel Smith writes:
>  > I also notice, on re-reading, that we are repeatedly calling select
>  > with nothing in the read or write fds, and with a "zero" timeout.  Why
>  > the heck would we be doing that?  It's basically a noop by
>  > definition...
>
> It's a probe to see whether any "Error" data has arrived, which near
> as I can tell included data sent over TCP with urgency.  When I went
> searching for something that used it, I recall finding that the usher
> code seemed to use this as a "something bad happened, go die now."
> It's been a long time since I looked at this though.

Um... that's probably a bad place to look, I just had it do what the
example in select_tut(2) (and also IIRC monotone) did.

Now that I know slightly more I'm fairly sure we can just not use that
(give select() an empty FD_SET for that argument), since we never send
OOB/high-priority data. But if we do look at it, killing the connection
is probably a good response since we're receiving something we know the
other side didn't send...

Tim
--
Free (experimental) public monotone hosting: http://mtn-host.prjek.net