[Monotone-devel] merge_into_dir wanted behaveour?

From: Johan Bolmsjö
Subject: [Monotone-devel] merge_into_dir wanted behaveour?
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 18:31:27 +0200

Hello,

I don't know if this is the right mailing list for this question but here it
goes. I have some small utility libraries that I don't wish to package for
system wide installation that I use in other branches. I tried to use
merge_into_dir and this works fine but if I try to propagate changes made to
the merged into branch inside the destination branch back. Well then the two
branches will get the same content.

I later read the manual and it clearly states this behaveour. It also says
that the purpose of merge_into_dir is to allow this kind of structure.

Example:

branch util contains "a.py", "b.py"
branch prog contains "c.py"

If I merge into dir b:util -> b:prog util/

I have in b:prog:
c.py
util/a.py
util/b.py

Now I figure it's common to do bug fixes to "util" when "prog" is being
developed. One would like to be able to propagate "prog" back to "util" and
expect only the changes made to "util" files be propagated to "util".

Is there some rationale behind the current behaveour or is it that it's just
impossible to do this with the current monotone design?

Clearly propagating "util" to "prog" does the right thing as it is now.

From manual:

The purpose of merge_into_dir is to permit a project to contain another
project in such a way that propagate can be used to keep the contained
project up-to-date. It is meant to replace the use of nested checkouts in
many circumstances.

Note that merge_into_dir does not permit changes made to the contained project
in destbranch to be propagated back to sourcebranch. Attempting this would
lead to sourcebranch containing both projects nested as in destbranch instead
of only the project originally in sourcebranch, which is almost certainly not
what would be intended.

/Johan