Fwd: [Monotone-devel] Re: FreeBSD's requirements for its future VCS

From: Zack Weinberg
Subject: Fwd: [Monotone-devel] Re: FreeBSD's requirements for its future VCS
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 21:34:49 -0700

meant to send to list, rrgh

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Zack Weinberg <address@hidden>
Date: Sep 28, 2006 9:34 PM
To: Bruce Stephens <address@hidden>

On 9/28/06, Bruce Stephens <address@hidden> wrote:
It all feels doable, but I suspect it'll involve some effort to be
realistically usable.  Probably valuable (for those relatively rare
occasions where you want it) for people other than FreeBSD.

I agree that it's not needed often, but when you need it, you truly
need it; no fakery is enough.  I've only seen one incident myself
where it was needed: I consulted a few years back for a company that
misappropriated some other company's code, lost the lawsuit, and was
ordered to destroy all copies no matter where they were found; only
time I've ever microwaved CDs, and it was on my boss's instructions...

So this is not a feature that we want to have to spend a lot of
developer time on, because it's so rarely needed; but it is a feature
that we want to put enough thought into that we can say it works for
sure.  Apropos, your suggestion seems dreadfully complicated to
implement and not as "sure" as someone looking down the barrel of a
court order might want.

zw