Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: How do I merge 2 unrelated branches into 1 ?

From: Dmitry Kakurin
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: How do I merge 2 unrelated branches into 1 ?
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 23:26:40 -0700

The thing is: strictly speaking I don't have a conflict.
In branch Main I have dir CS/Proj1 with bunch of files in it, in
branch HSM I have dir CS/Proj2 with some files.
So I expect that merge would create dir Proj2 in (already existing)
dir CS and be done with it.
Why is it complaining ? Is it because of CS dir name collision ? Can I
tell mtn what I want to happen ?

On 10/3/06, Nathaniel Smith <address@hidden> wrote:
On Tue, Oct 03, 2006 at 11:41:46PM -0500, Matthew A. Nicholson wrote:
> Bruce Stephens wrote:
> >Thomas Keller <address@hidden> writes:
> >
> >[...]
> >
> >>This means that two files/directories are equally named but have no
> >>common ancestry. However I can't tell you what two entries these are
> >>from the node numbers. Note to devs: Wasn't this supposed to be made
> >>more user friendly i.e. so it outputs file paths instead of those
> >>numbers?
> >
> >If I understand things correctly in the case of unrelated revisions
> >the roots will always conflict in this way.  Hence merge_into_dir.
> >(And, possibly, pivot_root, but I think merge_into_dir is intended for
> >this situation.)
> >

> I think propagate is the proper thing to use here.  I think initially
> when we switched to rosters the roots would conflict, but now that has
> been fixed.

No, the roots will conflict, and ATM there is no UI to resolve that
conflict.  merge_into_dir is a hack to work around this, it basically
just does the same thing as merge or propagate, but with special UI to
resolve this conflict.

Like any conflict, of course, you only have to resolve it once --
after a merge_into_dir, you can do future merges using propagate as
usual, and edits to the upstream branch will find their way into the
appropriate downstream dir automagically.

.i dei jitfa fanmo xatra