Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: FreeBSD's requirements for its future VCS

From: Daniel Carosone
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: FreeBSD's requirements for its future VCS
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2006 08:20:53 +1000

On Thu, Oct 05, 2006 at 11:50:17PM +0200, Lapo Luchini wrote:
> Daniel Carosone wrote:
> > I've made a start, creating an EvaluationFeatures top-level page that
> > should index all the other FeatureFoo pages, a FeatureTemplate page
> > and a half-dozen or so (so far) FeatureFoo pages.
> Whoo, you work fast, I couldn't definitely keep that pace ;-)
> (either that or you got lotsa free time :P)

It's a rare thing, but I wound up with a loose day just at this point
of time, so I grabbed the opportunity.  It might not happen again for
a while :/

> Good news is I just had the "editing bit" on FreeBSD's wiki and am
> linking and copying some of your text there, so that FreeBSD people
> can notice it better =)

Excellent. I think linking rather than copying would be preferable in
general.  The way I've structured the pages, a search on the monotone
wiki for "VCSFeatureXYZ" will find the answer for their page.  Some
introductory text, and perhaps a simple link like:

  Supported: http://venge.net/monotone/wiki/FeatureABC

would be best on each of their detail pages, with a little more
elaboration where needed (eg, see the Note in FeatureLogReview about
their specific example).

I have only a few left to do of their main list, but they're the ones
we don't have as great an answer on (yet):

 CVSExport: not in mainline, subject to various necessary constraints
 LogTemplates: on the quickies list but not yet there
 BaseSystem: going to be tough for any contender, and they recognise this.

I also need to rewrite the page for CommitMail I wrote yesterday and
lost to a browser snafu.  Then I want to make the FooBranchPattern
pages look like they should.

--
Dan.