Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Fwd: VCS comparison table

From: Brian May
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Fwd: VCS comparison table
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 10:28:32 +1000

    Graydon> I no longer believe that there is any global maximum:
    Graydon> there are many mutually incompatible choices you make
    Graydon> along the road, and different users value the outcomes
    Graydon> differently. Some people find SHA1 values comfortingly
    Graydon> precise; others find some form of linear number or
    Graydon> pet-name comfortingly meaningful. Some people require
    Graydon> cross-directory rename operations to merge correctly;
    Graydon> others require files to be splittable and
    Graydon> combinable. Some people like the robustness and
    Graydon> simplicity of disconnected repository replicas; others
    Graydon> believe that disk space and network traffic is too
    Graydon> expensive to spend on such things.

Thats why I think projects like tailor for converting between systems
could be so valuable.

Face it - we are never going to get everyone to agree that monotone is
the one and only true distributed VCS system available, even if it is
true. ;-).

Unfortunately, tailor, as currently implemented isn't very robust in
its handling of errors or other unexpected problems (e.g. if its
working directory is accidently deleted - or if you accidently specify
a working directory for another project it will blindly update the
wrong project).

Also I imagine the process could be rather lossy, due to incompatible
models user by different systems.
--
Brian May <address@hidden>