recursivity (was Re: [Monotone-devel] Questions pertaining Eclipse Integ

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: recursivity (was Re: [Monotone-devel] Questions pertaining Eclipse Integration)
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 16:23:09 -0800

On Sun, Oct 29, 2006 at 09:55:41AM +0100, Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker wrote:
> In message <address@hidden> on Sat, 28 Oct 2006 19:27:18 -0500, Timothy
> Brownawell <address@hidden> said:
>
> tbrownaw> I'm not sure we want to change the default, the
> tbrownaw> recursiveness is kinda nice.
>
> Yes and no.  Yes, I love it when it does include all files *when I
> want that to happen*.  Also, it's quite confusing that it work
> differently from its opposite, "drop".  There are times, when I'm
> tired, where I get a bit frustrated "because it doesn't work like it
> used to" before I realise that I was thinking about "the other
> command".  Inconsistency can be a bitch at times.

Consistency is really the issue at hand -- not only is there
consistency between add and drop to think about, but also consistency
between them and other restriction commands.

I doubt anyone wants "commit ." or "diff ." to be interpreted
non-recursively (at least without some sort of --non-recursive flag).
Is this a compelling argument for add/drop to behave the same way?

In mathematics, it's not enough to read the words
you have to hear the music