Re: [Monotone-devel] remote public key hash is unknown

From: Timothy Brownawell
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] remote public key hash is unknown
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 16:42:45 -0600

On Mon, 2006-11-13 at 15:32 -0700, Shaun Jackman wrote:
> What is the gibberish-to-English translation of the following error
> message? I tried...
>       mtn push localhost 2>&1 |babelfish --from gibberish --to english
> ... without any luck.
>
> Thanks,
> Shaun
> P.S. My apologies for the toungue-in-cheek tone. No offence intended!
>
> $ mtn push localhost
> mtn: connecting to localhost
> mtn: first time connecting to server localhost
> mtn: I'll assume it's really them, but you might want to double-check
> mtn: their key's fingerprint: 7728250bfb6641f24da36bf1fcfc8cbcde58edf9
> mtn: warning: saving public key for address@hidden to database
> mtn: finding items to synchronize:
> mtn: certificates | keys | revisions
> mtn:          785 |    1 |       260
> mtn: warning: protocol error while processing peer localhost:
> 'received network error: remote public key hash
> '001b3d7fe46175069970c725e5d91eb6ce5bc784' is unknown'

The server doesn't have a copy of the public half of the key that you
used on the client. You probably want to use 'mtn pubkey <key>' (at the
client) and 'mtn read' (at the server) to fix this.

If you don't want to restart the server for this, you can also look at
the --key-to-push option (But using that requires that you have at least
one client with a key that the server knows about).

--
Timothy

Free (experimental) public monotone hosting: http://mtn-host.prjek.net