Re: [Monotone-devel] review of .heights [merged!]

From: Thomas Moschny
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] review of .heights [merged!]
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 21:37:36 +0100

Hi all!

On Monday 23 October 2006 10:05, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
> The new 'db check' stuff looks good -- but there aren't any tests for
> it!  Does it even work?  (In the past we've written tests for db check
> stuff by having the test intentionally corrupt the db using 'db
> execute', and then run db check and made sure the output was
> sensible.)

The tests have been added.

> On the same note, it occurs to me that rev_height.cc could really use
> some unit tests to make sure that all those methods actually do what
> they advertise.  Not necessarily a show-stopper.

This has been postponed.

> In rev_height.cc, it would probably be better to define a dump()
> overload than the debug dumping code you have here -- that way rev
> heights would work with the existing MM() infrastructure.  Again, not
> a show-stopper.

Done.

As there were no real objections, I finally merged .heights back to nvm.
Everyone following mainline thus will have to migrate his or her database to
the new schema and then call `db regenerate_caches' (note that the latter cmd
supersedes `db regenerate_rosters'):

$ mtn --db some_db.mtn db migrate
$ mtn --db some_db.mtn db regenerate_caches

This may take a while, depending on the number of revisions in your database.

Standard disclaimers apply, so please make a backup copy of your database
before running these two commands and report any problems you see back here.

For background information, please see:
  http://venge.net/monotone/wiki/RevisionNumbering

Regards,
Thomas