Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Two seperate setups caused problems?

From: Timothy Brownawell
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Two seperate setups caused problems?
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 18:34:04 -0600

On Mon, 2006-11-20 at 15:06 -0800, Daniel Lakeland wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 20, 2006 at 02:52:54PM -0800,  wrote:
> >
> > Apparently I'm in a situation where monotone can't merge two branches:
> > (on windows...)
> >
> > mtn merge
> > mtn: 2 heads on branch '....'
> > mtn: [left] 01565....
> > mtn: [right] 74e29...
> > mtn: warning: rename target conflict: nodes 6, 1, both want parent 0, name
> > mtn: warning: resolve non-content conflicts and then try again.
> > mtn: error: merge failed due to unresolved conflicts
> >
> > I think what happened was that my coworker ran the windows monotone
> > installer, and created a database that had been "setup" with the same
> > branch name as mine. He made a test file, and then checked it in. Then
> > he synced with me. In the mean time I had done the same thing, except
> > also made several revisions.
> >
> > now my revision history is in parallel with his, starting from NOWHERE
> > ie. there are essentially 2 roots. I can not figure out how to get
> > monotone to merge these branches.

Yeah, the only way to merge them would be with merge_into_dir, but that
wants them to be in separate branches.

> what I did: I used "mtn db kill_rev_locally" on both machines to
> remove the useless revision, but it seems like this is a potentially
> obnoxious bug that could bite people just getting started with
> monotone. What is the right way to handle it?

The "right way" is to make sure that your branch names are all unique.

Other ways are kill_rev_locally like you did, or creative use of
merge_into_dir (IIRC, this would require making a couple extra branches,
because merge_into_dir currently wants its arguments to be in different
branches). We should hopefully get a "clobber_merge" operation that
would also be useful here, but that doesn't exist yet.

--
Timothy

Free (experimental) public monotone hosting: http://mtn-host.prjek.net