[Monotone-devel] Re: newbie: Life after cvs-import

From: Bruce Stephens
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: newbie: Life after cvs-import
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 10:27:16 +0000

Brian May <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

> I tend to agree. Unless:
>
> * You have to continue using CVS for some reason.
>
> * You expect to frequently need access to old versions and don't want
> to have to resort to using CVS for such cases.
>
> * Any other reason?
>
> The second point might be significant if, for example, there is a
> stable branch of the product in CVS and you don't want to keep using
> CVS to maintain the stable branch.
>
> In general, I suspect in most cases it is OK not to worry about
> preserving the entire history.

We certainly need to preserve just about all the history.  We could
probably lose anything more than 5 years old, but we probably wouldn't
want to (some parts of the code haven't been changed much since then,
so there's still value in that history).

I agree that it would be nice to migrate everything.  However, I'm
still not sure that we can do that accurately enough (we'd want to be
able to reproduce packages from back then).  I'm also concerned a bit
about the likely size of the conversion (the CVS repository is getting
on for 2G)---partial history would help there, I guess.