Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: newbie: Life after cvs-import

From: Ulf Ochsenfahrt
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: newbie: Life after cvs-import
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 15:06:27 +0100

Kelly F. Hickel wrote:
Then you got
* stable
|\
| \
|  * development
|  |
|  | continue to work on development
|  .
| continue to work on stable
.

and at some later point
.

*  .
 \ |
  \|
   * can merge from stable into development

[Kelly F. Hickel] Well, this is an interesting idea.  In practice, I
think (for us) that it would be fairly tricky.  At any given moment, we
probably have between 6 and 8 supported, active releases at customer
sites.  Each of those releases has a maintenance branch, and a "hotfix"
branch where fixes are made for critical issues. In addition, we'd
likely be working on 2 as yet unreleased version.  There would also be
any number of in progress projects or bug fixes going on in their own
branches.

That sounds pretty complex. So my approach may not be the best way to do it in your case.

Let me just reiterate the idea behind this approach: You don't want to import the same project in different variations independently, because that gives you really ugly problems with merging (this has been discussed on a different thread). As long as you have a common ancestor for most of the code (the stable revision depicted above), if you can't decide whether one of your branches is exactly an ancestor of the other or vice versa, it doesn't matter as much. Merging will be more complicated, but you can avoid at least the really ugly problems.

So, determining the right branches to bring over, and the correct order
in which to import them would seem to be possible (it *must* be
possible, right? Otherwise the repo is already "useless"), it certainly
isn't trivial...

You might be able to use the cvs import to get the relationship between the branches in the cvs repository figured out.

I'll have to give this one some thought...

Thanks,
Kelly

Switching an entire company over to a different version control system, while maintaining current operations, really is a complex and difficult undertaking. Good luck,

-- Ulf