Re: [Monotone-devel] line endings as project policy

From: Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] line endings as project policy
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2006 23:56:46 +0100 (CET)

So, what I hear you say is that we should remove all the conversion
stuff that exists today.  Is that correct?

In message <address@hidden> on Sat, 25 Nov 2006 13:52:48 +0100, Ulf Ochsenfahrt
<address@hidden> said:

ulf> Hi all,
ulf> This line ending thing is getting far too much attention, IMHO. My last
ulf> word on this issue is:
ulf> - Whatever I check in, I want checked out
ulf> - What I'd like to see is a setting where monotone checks on commit if
ulf> the files obey a particular line ending convention/charset and gives a
ulf> warning if they don't
ulf> I don't want any automatic conversion of line endings or charsets. IMHO,
ulf> charsets are much too fragile and dangerous to be handled by monotone.
ulf> And line ending conversion cannot really be separated from charset
ulf> handling in the face of non-8-bit encoded charsets.
ulf> That said, I am not opposed to an opt-in mechanism for line
ulf> ending/charset handling, as long as its not on by default.
ulf> The CVS way to do it was really, really bad. It messed up my files
ulf> several times, with duplicate line endings and with treating binary
ulf> files as text.
ulf> Now, there's also another thing, which is a better merge ui, which is
ulf> much overdue now...

See for details.

                                                -- C.S. Lewis