RE: [Monotone-devel] Re: line endings as project policy

From: Kelly F. Hickel
Subject: RE: [Monotone-devel] Re: line endings as project policy
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 20:19:34 -0600

> On Mon, Nov 27, 2006 at 10:59:13PM +0100, Richard Levitte - VMS
Whacker
> wrote:
> > And yet, we're still speaking about systems where the only
difference
> > is a character or two.  On a record oriented filesystem, you MUST
> > convert text files to actual separate records (lines), or anything
> > that deals with text (such as more or less all editors, all
compilers,
> > all diffing tools, all...  the list goes on) is basically rendered
> > worthless.
> >
> > I guess that monotone will stay on Unix/Windows/MacOS only.
>
> Is this a serious issue in practice?  It seems like you could probably
> get things to pretty much work well enough with some heuristics, and
> the knowledge that you have to make some sacrifice to achieve
> interoperability with the fundamentally different (and more prevalent)
> stream-of-bytes style...
>
> I mean, what do, say, web browsers and sftp clients and stuff do?
>
> -- Nathaniel

Richard, we have a version of cvs that runs on VMS.  It's been 10 years
since I worked with RMS, but IIRC a C program could open a file in text
mode, printf a string like ""Hello World.\n" and "the right thing" would
happen.  Is that correct?

That would mean that the proposed file attribute would have to control
how mtn opened the file, but that seems "reasonable".

-Kelly