[Monotone-devel] Re: Multiple projects in one database -- branch confusi

From: Steven E. Harris
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Multiple projects in one database -- branch confusion
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2006 15:34:49 -0800

"Justin Patrin" <address@hidden> writes:

> One way to merge these would be to use merg_into_dir. This allows
> you to merge one branch's root into a directory in another
> branch. So you'd do:
>
> mtn --db=db.MTN merge_into_dir project.experiment project.prototype experiment

The merge_into_dir documentation¹ states:

,----
| The purpose of merge_into_dir is to permit a project to contain
| another project in such a way that propagate can be used to keep the
| contained project up-to-date. It is meant to replace the use of nested
| checkouts in many circumstances.
`----

If I used merge_into_dir as you suggested, placing the root of the
project.experiment branch into the ./experiment directory of the
project.prototype branch, what would happen with subsequent
propagations from project.experiment to project.prototype? Would
monotone understand which files had moved where, and be able to
integrate changes from

  [project.experiment]/one.txt

  [project.prototype]/experiment/one.txt

or would it attempt to create [project.prototype]/one.txt again?

Footnotes:
¹ http://venge.net/monotone/docs/Tree.html#Tree

--
Steven E. Harris