Re: [Monotone-devel] Why does pull require -k?

From: Timothy Brownawell
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Why does pull require -k?
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 14:01:11 -0600

On Thu, 2006-12-14 at 11:49 -0800, Justin Patrin wrote:
> On 12/14/06, Boris <address@hidden> wrote:
> > After synchronizing my monotone database with another I can use 'mtn sync'
> > and 'mtn push' just like that (as monotone remembers everything from the
> > first sync). However 'mtn pull' tells me it does an anonymous pull. I have
> > to use -k to specify which key I want to use. Is this is a bug? I wonder as
> > I don't find anything in the documentation that I need to use -k for pull
> > all the time while sync and push remember?
> >

> It's probably an oversight as monotone is an open source project and
> is probably thought of in those terms. Open source projects generally
> allow anonymous pulls and therefore it wouldn't be a problem to not
> include the key.
>
> But yes, sounds like a bug. ;-)

There's also that the server will refuse the connection if you try to
identify yourself with a key that it doesn't have. If we want to change
pull to default to using a key, the server would first have to be made
to fall back to seeing it as an anonymous connection.

--
Timothy

Free (experimental) public monotone hosting: http://mtn-host.prjek.net