Re: [Monotone-devel] question regarding stdio and streams

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] question regarding stdio and streams
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 08:47:32 +0100

Nathaniel J. Smith schrieb:
If you want to include the information into automate stdio's stdout
stream, you need to multiplex it in somehow, and I don't have any
particular opinion on what the best way would be to write such code.
I'm sort of surprised you even want it :-).

The reason why it could be useful is because it contains status information of what is currently going on, i.e. for mtn automate push/pull/sync, which would be (if not merged into stdout) just hidden for a GUI. Those messages tell the user again to which server he connects, if a key (or anonymous access) is used and finally if the process itself was a success. Now if this is missing, this is not such a bad thing, if the process wouldn't spend sometimes more time on these steps (i.e. connecting to a server) while the user doesn't get any feedback on the action. The command line GUI tell me what it does, over automate I can't see what happens.

Btw... a sidenode, could it be that clog is by default redirected to cerr anyways? At least here on OSX if I do 2>/dev/null, the log messages disappear, while they are still available if I redirect stdout to /dev/null. Before looking at monotone's sources I didn't even know of a clog output stream, but thought cout and cerr where the only (used) ones...

Thomas.

--
ICQ: 85945241 | SIP: 1-747-027-0392 | http://www.thomaskeller.biz