Re: [Monotone-devel] Monotone Bug with OpenEmbedded Database

From: Nathaniel J. Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Monotone Bug with OpenEmbedded Database
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 23:23:44 -0800

On Thu, Jan 04, 2007 at 09:42:47PM -0800, Zack Weinberg wrote:
> I have just committed a change which causes gzip decompression
> failures (and all other Botan failures that could indicate data
> corruption) to come out like this, instead:
>
> mtn: error: gzip decompression: data integrity error - crc32 error
> mtn: error: this may be due to a memory glitch, data corruption during
> mtn: error: a network transfer, corruption of your database or workspace,
> mtn: error: or a bug in monotone.  if the error persists, please contact
> mtn: error: address@hidden for assistance.
>
> The first line varies according to the Botan failure, of course.  I'm
> not wholly satisfied with the wording of the advice - improvements
> welcome.

Every time I can recall seeing this, it turned out to be some sort of
storage hardware failure -- hard drives going south, or in one
memorable occasion (i.e., this happened to the venge.net server), a
RAID card that liked to flip bits on one of its channels.  We
definitely want to at least raise this possibility in the user's
mind...

Perhaps:

This is most often caused by a failing hard drive, bad memory, or
filesystem corruption; it may also be caused by corruption during
network data transfer, or a bug in monotone.  We recommend checking
for hardware failure, or contacting address@hidden for
further assistance.