[Monotone-devel] Boost/GCC version problems

From: Jon Bright
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Boost/GCC version problems
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 14:29:48 +0100

Having seen a few of those segfault problems floating around recently: might it be worth adding something like the following to configure?

BOOSTGCC=$(strings libboost_date_time-gcc-1_33_1.a |grep '^GCC.*GNU' |head -n 1 |cut -d ' ' -f 3)
CURRENTGCC=$(gcc --version |head -n 1 |cut -d ' ' -f 3)
if [ "$BOOSTGCC" != "" -a "$CURRENTGCC" != "" -a "$BOOSTGCC" != "$CURRENTGCC" ]; then echo "The gcc used to compile Boost is not the same version as the gcc which would currently be used. This frequently leads to problems. We very strongly recommend recompiling Boost with your current GCC version."
        exit
fi

My quickly-hacked shell script might need some tweaking to be more broadly applicable, but this seems like an approach that could avoid developer time being taken up with these problems (and also avoid a lot of poor user experiences)?

--
Jon Bright
Silicon Circus Ltd.