Re: [Monotone-devel] [patch] add access checks for monotonerc

From: Nathaniel J. Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] [patch] add access checks for monotonerc
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2007 00:33:04 -0800

On Fri, Feb 02, 2007 at 07:59:23PM -0800, Eric Christopher wrote:
> Since users could be storing something silly like a passphrase in
> their monotonerc we should probably check to make sure it isn't
> readable/writable by everyone else as well. Here's a quick patch to do
> that. The downside is that we need to fix the rc file in a bunch of
> the monotone testcases as well. That isn't in the patch :)

Makes sense, I guess.  Might annoy some people, since only some people
put passphrases into monotonerc, but we can see what users think...

How well does this code compile/run on windows?

We might want to factor out this check into its own function (in
platform.hh, if there are in fact win32 problems), so that we can
re-use it -- the other use case I can think of is that we should
probably do the same check on private key files in .monotone/keys/.
(In fact, monotonerc's only sometimes need privacy, but private keys
are always sensitive...)