[Monotone-devel] The web is moving

From: Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker
Subject: [Monotone-devel] The web is moving
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 09:36:01 +0100 (CET)

Hello,

some of you have noticed that the monotone web is in flux.  What's
happening is that it's been copied to a different server (mine), and
the primary purpose (for me) is to make it possible to collaborate a
little more regarding releases and such things.  Another purpose is to
finally have monotone stuff served under http://monotone.ca/.

So far, the static pages have been placed into the branch
net.venge.monotone.web (I noticed later on that a similar effort was
made a couple of years ago, wonder where that went).  This branch is
automatically pulled by a cron job on the new server, and the
directory for those pages is automatically updated.  This happens once
an hour.

The downloads directory is NOT version controlled.  There's really no
need to do so, and I would feel pity for anyone who would have to
handle the increasing amount of data in there.  Instead, distros can
be placed in it with scp (to monotone.ca:downloads/).  This requires a
SSH 2 key from those interested in providing distros this way.

The wiki is still on venge.net, and there's a bit of web server
hackery to have it accessible again (it's a workaround for the web
server hackery that redirects http://www.venge.net/monotone/ to
http://monotone.ca/).  I'm not really sure what's going to happen with
it, if it's going to stay in place or if it's going to move to the new
server.

As far as backups go, I'm counting on monotone for everthing in the
branch.  I have made sure the downloads directory is backed up,
though.  That happens every night.

Cheers,
Richard

-----