[Monotone-devel] Re: Mac OS X - resource fork empty after checkout

From: th wies
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Mac OS X - resource fork empty after checkout
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 10:42:13 +0000 (UTC)

Nathaniel Smith <njs <at> pobox.com> writes:

> On Sat, Feb 17, 2007 at 10:28:40AM +1100, Brian May wrote:
> > Are attributes in monotone suited for storing large amounts of data?
>
> No, they are not suited to this -- file attrs are not
> delta-compressed.
>
> The only actual requests for multi-stream file support that I've ever
> heard have been for people with a few legacy MacOS files with resource
> forks on them, though.  I don't think these resource forks are
> actually changing, ever.  So it may not be an issue.

Hello,

thanks for all the replies to my posting. As i am only an occasional
mac developer, i thought that this sort of "resource fork only" files
are quite usual. In fact my file contains the applications ui elements
(dialogs, messages etc) and is subject to change. Its the same as a .rc
file on windows.

A second problem that comes up if you lose the resource fork is, that the
association with the suitable program is lost. I have the complete build
environment under version control and after checkout, the project files
are not longer associated with my metrowerks compiler.

Thomas

PS.
The only thing i do with a mac is the mac part of an cross platform
quark xpress xtension.