Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: [HACKERS] SCMS question

From: Alvaro Herrera
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: [HACKERS] SCMS question
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 11:28:07 -0300

address@hidden wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 23, 2007 at 10:42:13AM -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker wrote:
> > > In message <address@hidden> on Fri, 23 Feb 2007 07:57:53 +0100, Markus
> > > Schiltknecht <address@hidden> said:
> > >
> > > markus> Uh, yah. But I was refering to the "lots of opinions on what
> > > markus> replacement system to use". This has not much to do with the
> > > markus> want or need (for lack of a better alternative) to stay with
> > > markus> CVS, IMO.
> > >
> > > Oh, it's an academic discussion?  Sorry, didn't catch that.
> >
> > It's only academic because Monotone is not ready.  As soon as it is
> > ready we will be pushing much harder.
>
> This invites the obvious question -- in which ways in monotone not
> ready?  Not that I'm trying to imply that monotone *is* ready, of
> course.

Time to get the initial pull is too long, mostly.  Also, having the
policy branch stuff will be good, if nothing else because it'll mean
having 1.0 out, in turn meaning UI stability, etc.  And getting Markus'
work on the CVS import will be good too (I haven't tried converting
Postgres' entire CVS repo in a while, and that certainly is a must).

I don't think we're going to get a one-shot migration, so Cristof's work
on CVS takeover would be really nice to have so that some of us can
create an "alternative" repo and cater for those that will continue to
use CVS for a while.