Re: [Monotone-devel] RFE: Hard Barrier Between Branches in Netsync

From: Thomas Moschny
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] RFE: Hard Barrier Between Branches in Netsync
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2007 14:40:27 +0100

On Friday 02 March 2007, Ulf Ochsenfahrt wrote:
> Second, it would lead to (potentially) lower efficiency. If the user has
> new revisions which are children of revisions that he does not
> officially has read-access to, then he has to also transmit the parent
> revisions, even though these may already be present in the other
> database. I do not expect that this would happen often. One could even
> argue that this can only happen when the access rights are incorrectly
> configured. After all, how can a user know of a revision that he doesn't
> have read-access to?

What is the problem here? During netsync, one peer (the server) can tell the
other peer (the client) about *IDs* (i.e. hashes) of all the revisions it
has, regardless of whether it is allowed to tell it about the *contents* of
those revisions? Current netsync probably cannot handle that, because it aims
at clearing out all differences between the revisions sets of both peers,
after having determed them. In the case above, the client could have only
some of the revisions it is actually not allowed to have but not all, so it
would ask the server again and again.

Maybe this issue will go away if we change netsync to use a dag-based
refinement, as proposed by Timothy here:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/monotone-devel/2006-09/msg00124.html

- Thomas

--
Thomas Moschny  <address@hidden>