Re: [Monotone-devel] where to put a (default) database? [Was: clone clea

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] where to put a (default) database? [Was: clone cleanup failure on Windows]
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2007 15:22:07 -0800

On Fri, Mar 02, 2007 at 03:32:43PM +0100, Lapo Luchini wrote:
> Certainly "funny" and counter-intuitive for mtn users (me included).
> OTOH that's what Hg does, AFAIK, and probably also Arch & friends?
> For CVS & SVN people just thinking that the "book keeping" directory
> contains "the real stuff" is plain crazy: they know only the server
> contains it.

Yes, but for hg (and bzr, darcs, bk, etc.) _every_ workspace has their
database equivalent in it; if you have two workspaces, you have two
databases -- so they avoid the hidden coupling between workspaces
that worried me in the first place.  It's a valid design, but it's not
mtn's design.

> IMHO a better default would be ~/.monotone/branch-name.mtn... or at the
> very least; that's what I usually use. ^_^
> (usually restricting to "first 2 component of branch name", e.g.
> net.venge.mtn for mtn, it.lapo.mtn for personal projects...)
>
> Small poll: what database file does other people use?

Hmm, odd, I seem to be in the minority :-).  I have a directory under
~/src/ for each project, so I have e.g. ~/src/monotone/, and then it
contains my db in the top level, monotone.mtn, and a bunch of checkout
directories on different branches, and build directories for those
checkouts.  The nice thing about this approach is that it means all
the data for a single project is stuck together in one place; this is
sort of the model I have in the back of my head when I talk about how
I think the UI should look.

So either I'm wrong or everyone else is :-).  I guess I'm curious what
people think...

In mathematics, it's not enough to read the words
you have to hear the music