Re: [Monotone-devel] Database gone wild...

From: William Uther
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Database gone wild...
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2007 19:11:24 +1100

On 09/03/2007, at 4:58 PM, Nathaniel Smith wrote:

Then there was the problem with cvssync where it was moved to a new
server that didn't have a key generated before it was run the first
time.  Rather than erroring out, it added two revs without any certs
and the scripts then synced them into the cloud.  Wheeee.  A db check
now gives:

This is really not a big deal.  You can add certs to those revs if you
want; you can kill_rev_locally them if you want (they probably won't
even be transmitted over netsync, because they have no branch certs,
the exception is if they have children that do have branch certs),
you can ignore them, whatever.  db check is just whining.

netsync (we're mostly using ssh:// here) will send them sometimes. This means that they propagate nicely, and *then* start causing problems.

The problem is that I need to stop people from syncing the old broken
stuff into the fixed up db.  I suspect I want to do something with
epochs.  If I 'mtn db set_epoch' on each branch to a random number,
that should solve the problem, right?

Yes, that's how epoch's work -- mtn won't let data flow between
databases with mismatched epochs.

Yup - thank you to those on irc who helped me out!

Be well,

Will       :-}