[Monotone-devel] Using monotone via USB flash drive

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Using monotone via USB flash drive
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2007 09:46:02 -0400

I'm considering switching to monotone; I currently use CVS.

One reason for switching is the requirement to do CM on a system that
has no network access, for security reasons (this is for NASA, we
worry about people taking over satellites).

The basic scenario is we have several developers, and several "target"
systems used by customers. We currently maintain the sources on the
delivered systems, for two reasons; we often need to deliver quick
fixes on the spot (the system is far from perfect, and under active
developement), and there are many files (loosely called "configuration
files") that are used at run-time and may be changed at the user's
request. This way, we have those configuration files under CM.

>From my reading so far, I believe the following process will work with
monotone:

Establish a primary central database on a machine accessible to all
developers.

Establish local databases on each developer machine, and on the target
systems.

All developers regularly sync with the central database.

For target systems that have network access, sync with the
central database just like developers do.

For target systems that do not have network access, establish another
database on a USB flash drive.

To sync the central database with a non-networked target system:

1) Install the USB drive in a developer machine, and sync the
   developer's local database with it.

2) Install the USB drive in the target machine, and sync the local
   database with it.

3) Install the USB drive in a developer machine, and sync the
   developer's local database with it.

4) Sync the developer's local database with the central database.

I'm sure I've left out some details; I have not actually used monotone
seriously yet.

But I'd like to know if the basic idea is sound, or if I need to find
another solution to the problem.

Thanks,

--
-- Stephe