Re: [Monotone-devel] Announce: DisTract - Distributed Bug Tracker based

From: Brian May
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Announce: DisTract - Distributed Bug Tracker based on Monotone
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 09:55:07 +1000

    Matthew> DisTract is a Distributed Bug Tracker.  We're all now
    Matthew> familiar with working with distributed software control
    Matthew> systems, such as Monotone, Git, Darcs, Mercurial and
    Matthew> others, but bug trackers still seem to be fully stuck in
    Matthew> the centralised model: Bugzilla and Trac both have single
    Matthew> centralised servers. This is clearly wrong, as if you're
    Matthew> able to work on the Train, off the network and still
    Matthew> perform local commits of code then surely you should also
    Matthew> be able to locally close bugs too.

Correct me if you have already considered this, however I think more
work needs to be done on tracking where a bug is fixed and where the
bug remains open.

For example, just marking the bug as fixed could be confusing if you
sync the BTS before you sync the repository containing the bug fix. Or
for people using other branches. How do I know if my branch is fixed?

Maybe a possibility is a field:

fixed-in-version: 1234

...and have software that automatically assumes all descendents of
this version are fixed.

This in turn might cause problems is the change is reverted for some
reason and redone in a later revision or maybe even in another branch.

Anybody looking at this issue might want to look at the Debian BTS
which tracks Debian package versions. Not only does it have
"fixed-in-version" headers but it also has a "found-in-version"
headers (names might not be identical).

It also raises the issue - say I search for bug reports and find my
bug has been fixed in version 1234. Then what? How do I find version
1234? If the repository containing this version hasn't been synced yet
to the repository you are using it might be awkward.

Anyway just some thoughts.
--
Brian May <address@hidden>