Re: [Monotone-devel] Setting up syncs & read/write permissions on Window

From: Ken MacDonald
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Setting up syncs & read/write permissions on Windows
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 18:13:45 -0400

Well, the thing is that Windows users in general have no real knowledge
what a "home directory" is and where it is located at all.

Probably from the day when these boxes only ran MS-DOS; who needed a
home dir if you only have 1 user?

But monotone apparently figures it out for you "on the fly". The first
day I followed a bit of the tutorial (on my windows box) I entered the
command as described in the tutorial:

mtn db init --db=~/beth.mtn

which is not a valid pathname in native windows-speak.

mtn apparently either guessed (or obtained from a windows service)
that I really meant:

mtn db init --db="C:\Documents and Settings\<username>.<WORKGROUP>\beth.mtn"

because that's what it did. It would be useful if it *told* me
somewhere where I should expect things to be created on Windows,
either as output from the "mtn db init..." command, or in the doc
somewhere. Or both.

tries to hide such "malicious overinformation" more and more with every
reincarnation of Windows (ever wondered why your desktop is the root
node in the Windows explorer, obviously its physically located somewhere
in your $HOMEDIR?). While I surely think this is an issue for Windows
users, I don't think its monotone's responsibility to clarify how they
can/should use their chosen operating system and where the standard
paths are located. Call me biased, but looking back at my Windows time
just makes me shuddering.

While I appreciate your horror of Windows (me too!!!) I suspect that
you would entice more folks to use/contribute to monotone (seems to be
a goal of this group, yes?) if you made it less daunting, especially
in the initial try-out phase. Example doc could look like:

Now we create a database:

mtn db init --db=~/beth.mtn

Windows:

mtn db init --db=C:\my_db_dir\beth.mtn

in the few places that could use it.

> Nice, but there doesn't seem to be anything regarding this in the
> documentation. I'll search it in the mailing list archives, but it
> would be great if the doc got updated when interesting features are
> added.

http://monotone.ca/monotone.html#Other-Transports

Yep, I found my way there via a ref in the mailing list. Had read it
before but it hadn't stuck with me.

Is there some `hostname` command available on Win32? I dunno...

Yep. Seems it's called 'hostname' :-) on my system - AFAIK, have no
shell extensions, so is probably standard.

I think we should implement this the other way around, and AFAIR this
has been discussed already: We should add support for auto-recovery to
monotone and a way to pull a list of available branches remotely from a
server. Having such information in place would be more useful than the
error message "your branch pattern does not match any available
branches" - yeah, what available branches?!

Thomas.

Excellent - I like that. But even the "your branch pattern does not
match any available..." would be more helpful than the current "Sync
succeeded; did nothing" :-) At least "doesn't match available" gives
you a breadcrumb to start figuring out why.
Ken