Re: [Monotone-devel] linus talk on git

From: J Decker
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] linus talk on git
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 04:13:31 -0700

Harsh .... (also beware of falling rants)

Unforutnatly, although monotone has become much much better for performance issues... it was knocked out of the world of 'valid' distributed version control systems because of speed.

There may be some issues with 'guarantee that what I put in I get back out' also, in respect to line endings.... I know there was some discussion about monotone being 'helpful' with line ending translation, which it really shouldn't do...

There may be reasons that no matter what platform I check a certain text file out on that the line endings need to be exactly what I put in.

And more likely, if your sources, your compiler, etc, require certain line endings, then store them that way.  And probably, noone else with any other sort of plaformtn.... sorry I'm rambling.

Git's command set appears, on the surface, to resemble monotone's.... GPM is one such project that has become involved with 'git' but it's very unclear how to actually use git to get these sources... maybe it's cause I started with that specific project...