Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: linus talk on git

From: Julio M. Merino Vidal
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: linus talk on git
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 15:09:20 +0200

On 21/05/2007, at 14:47, Jack Lloyd wrote:

On Mon, May 21, 2007 at 01:21:11PM +0100, Bruce Stephens wrote:

Just doing "update", monotone checks RSA signatures (to see if
revisions are on the branch), calls lua hooks (for the same reason);
and throughout all that gets its information from SQLite.  (At that
time, IIRC, base64 encoded information, for the binary bits.)

It must have been clear even at the time that if you decided what data
to keep (so you could stick it in some simpler binary format) and
didn't sign most of it, then you could build something much faster.

[OT]

I haven't looked into the design of git at all, so this is perhaps a
stupid question, but does this mean git is then relying more on some
external factors for authenticity checks, like domain names?

Linus talks about this in his presentation. The hashes are only used for "consistency" checks -- i.e., if you have revision xyz, then you really have what xyz is supposed to contain anywhere else. But security must be provided elsewhere. (I don't know if that's what you were referring to, though.)

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <address@hidden>