Re: [Monotone-devel] slow update/status on NFS

From: Richard Levitte
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] slow update/status on NFS
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 15:27:00 +0200 (CEST)

In message <address@hidden> on Wed, 23 May 2007 15:22:37 +0200, Markus
Schiltknecht <address@hidden> said:

markus> Richard Levitte wrote:
markus> > If you have to, just give the cached status a limited life
markus> > time...
markus> Uh... yeah, sure. But how, that's the question?

Have a time_t that gets initialised when stat() is used, then compare
it with the result of time() at any use, and if the difference is
larger than NNN seconds, do a new stat() first.  getting the output of
time() should be a fairly cheap operation.

I can't really say if this is really needed, since most paths should
be fairly short-lived objects...

See for details.

                                                -- C.S. Lewis