Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: linus talk on git

From: Derek Scherger
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: linus talk on git
Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 21:03:21 -0600

Brian May wrote:
> As there any references on how policy branches will solve these
> problems?

Whatever exists is on the wiki but I'm not sure whether there's a nice
list of requirements or anything.

The *one* nice thing about subversion branches is that they have a
life-cycle. You can create a branch, which can later be renamed (through
the normal svn copy-it-to-a-new-name-and-delete-the-old-one technique)
and when you're done with it it can be deleted.

However the project policy stuff works out I certainly hope that a
similar branch life-cycle will be possible. I actually wonder if this is
where we should be starting with the policy stuff, since it's a feature
that everyone seems to want, myself included. i.e. suppose we build in
some sort of support for branch life-cycle support and punt on the
permissions stuff for a while, if that's even possible.

I don't think there's really very much going on with the project policy
stuff at the moment though. There are some ideas floating around but not
much else. I didn't follow the discussions at the summit all that
closely though so I don't know where they ended up.

Cheers,
Derek