Re: [Monotone-devel] partial pull #2 - gaps instead of a single horizon

From: Derek Scherger
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] partial pull #2 - gaps instead of a single horizon
Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 21:18:41 -0600

Timothy Brownawell wrote:
> err... it seems to have slipped my mind that revisions also contain the
> manifest id, so this is totally incorrect.

I keep thinking that there's a nice way to create public node ids, based
on something like a hash of the new revision id, the node type and the
full path of the node or some such. These seem like something that might
be worth exchanging as part of the manifest format so that we can be
sure that we agree on which nodes a revision is changing.

However, your comment above makes me wonder about this and I think there
would be a circular reference. The revision needs the new manifest id,
to compute the new manifest id we need node ids, and for node ids as
described above we need the new revision id. So this doesn't seem to
work after all. Grump.

Cheers,
Derek