Re: [Monotone-devel] slow update/status on NFS

From: Benoît Dejean
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] slow update/status on NFS
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 20:05:33 +0200

Le lundi 28 mai 2007 à 13:08 -0700, Justin Patrin a écrit :
> On 5/25/07, Benot Dejean <address@hidden> wrote:

> > > Wouldn't it be better to have all your files local, and use monotone
> > > to sync with a db on the remote file server?
> >
> > Because this is a filer.
> >

> What exactly do you mean by a filer? I've never heard that term
> applied to computers and naturally assumed you meant a file server.

You know, a NetApp christmas tree, things like that ... hundreds of
disk. (google i feel lucky filer). These kind of hardware is dedicated.

> What is better about working on the (remote, slow) filer than working
> locally and syncing often?

I have no choice. I am a simple user. (And if i had the choice, i would
still use network filesystem). My work and user files are on network
filesystems: they are secured, backuped and available from everywhere.
Anyway, I have no local write access on my desktop.

I'm sorry you don't understand this, but i can't really give more
details. The network is slow compared to disk (by the way, this may not
be always true) but not too slow. But the filesystem usage is bloated.
And this painfully shows on network (maybe also on DVD-RAM or USB keys).

Monotone had a little issue on reiserfs, nobody ever considered
switching from reiserfs :)

So is any patch going to be applied ?

--
Benoît Dejean