Re: [Monotone-devel] Failure To Complete Tests With Monotone Version 0.3

From: Anthony Edward Cooper
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Failure To Complete Tests With Monotone Version 0.34 And 0.35
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 10:18:07 +0100

   Hi all,

I have tried to compile Monotone 0.35 for Solaris 9.0. I must be going mad! I distinctly remember it successfully compiling the test harness, running it and then getting a few tests that failed. However when I did a clean build yesterday the test harness failed to build due to unset_env not being ported to Solaris. I provided an implementation in tester.cc (borrowed straight out of glibc) and this time it compiled. However when ever the tester program is run with a test script it core dumps (no symbol table info I am afraid). make check passes with flying colours on the first two tests but when it gets to run_lua_tests it just dies:-(

Unfortunately this is beginning to take up too much time... I only want a certified (known to work) binary that will run on Solaris 9.0. However the only binaries I could find were version 0.2x and we would like at least 0.34 or ideally 0.35. Has anyone else managed to get it to compile for Solaris 9.0? Is there a way of running the lua tests from a Linux box but using the solaris binary over the network?

In order to get some debug info out of tester, where do I turn on -g in the make file?

   Many thanks in advance.

   Tony.

Thomas Keller wrote:
Hi Anthony!

Many thanks for your quick response. I have put together a tar ball of all the test directories that failed, minus the large test file
and the databases.

Looking at the logs they all fail with something like this:

netsync_client_absorbs_server_key:14:
/home/aecoope/monotone/monotone-0.35/mtn --norc
--root=/home/aecoope/monotone/monotone-0.35/tester_dir/netsync_client_absorbs_server_key
--confdir=/home/aecoope/monotone/monotone-0.35/tester_dir/netsync_client_absorbs_server_key
--rcfile
/home/aecoope/monotone/monotone-0.35/tester_dir/netsync_client_absorbs_server_key/test_hooks.lua
--db=/home/aecoope/monotone/monotone-0.35/tester_dir/netsync_client_absorbs_server_key/test.db
--keydir
/home/aecoope/monotone/monotone-0.35/tester_dir/netsync_client_absorbs_server_key/keys
address@hidden --dump=_MTN/server_dump --bind=localhost:31781
--rcfile=netsync.lua serve address@hidden
stdout:

stderr:
mtn: beginning service on localhost : 31781
/home/aecoope/monotone/monotone-0.35/mtn: operation canceled: Terminated

I'm not experienced enough to explain why the service fails immediately
after starting to serve; maybe others here have an idea what could cause
this SIGTERM signal?

I take your point about gcc version 3.2.2, however the limiting
factor here is Solaris 9.0. I had the devil's own job compiling gcc
3.4.4 for Solaris, I managed it in the end but I don't know what made
it work:-~ Anyway my main concern is that the monotone tests failed
for SPARC Solaris 9.0.

Again, 3.2.2 might be perfectly fine, I just stated that we do not have
build bots for it, thus can't see / test if anything breaks. You're of
course invited to provide such a build bot - Nathaniel will happily add
it to our setup =)

I am trying to compile monotone for work as we currently use CVS and
wish to switch to monotone for the branch management.

Cool!

As a final note: Please target your next mails directly to
monotone-devel, otherwise the other people can't read and respond to it.
I'm just a part time hacker and translator - there are certainly more
experienced users / developers around here who could help you more than
I ever could.

Thomas.