Re: [Monotone-devel] partial pull #2 - gaps instead of a single horizon

From: Markus Schiltknecht
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] partial pull #2 - gaps instead of a single horizon
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2007 10:06:56 +0200

Derek Scherger wrote:
Markus Schiltknecht wrote:
Hm.. merging branches with need a flag day serves the purpose of
reducing the amounts of flag days needed for end-users. Why would you
want to have multiple flag day branches?

To keep the various things that might be considered for a flag day
logically separated. I'm not saying "let's have multiple flag days" just
"let's keep each little flag day project on its own branch waiting for
hopefully one flag day"

Ah, now I understand what you mean. But that's happening already, those branches are just not called flag-day-something, but n.v.m.gaps or n.v.m.policy-branches, etc...

The idea of setting the root
directory name to "." instead of "" comes to mind
May I ask what that exactly means? Where can I read more about that?

There's a few places in the code where we simply don't print the root
node because it has an essentially invisible name. In other places
(automate inventory maybe) it gets displayed but its name is "" so
subsequent scripts need to deal with that as a special case. It would be
nice to have some consistency in this (which we could possibly do
anytime in terms of normal output but not for internal storage without a
flag day). So instead of storing a/b/c we might use ./a/b/c where the
root node has a nice (i.e. externally usable) name.

Thank you for the explanation, sounds good.

Regards

Markus