[Monotone-devel] Re: monotone.ca can now be used as a server

From: Graydon Hoare
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: monotone.ca can now be used as a server
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 10:04:55 -0700

Richard Levitte wrote:

Actually, the reason that key IDs must be unique is that the table
that stores them is indexed by, you guessed it, unique key IDs.  To
this day, I still can't understand that decision, it has created more
problems than it has solved, as far as I can see.  The key table
SHOULD (in my opinion) be indexed by key fingerprint or something like
that.  But then, I come from the PKI world, where this is common
sense...

It's a bug. A very old bug I have deferred fixing for ... 4 years. Something else always took priority.

(it's one of those corners of the program that was laid down as "oh, at a first pass we can do the easier thing and come back to fix it later". I couldn't figure out the right UI for multiple-keys / same-name, so I just decided to ban it initially. Bad plan. I really should have started with SPKI. But then, I also should have selected mercurial's tip / local revid nomenclature, and git's tag strategy, and focused more on performance ... many things probably should have been done differently)

-graydon