Re: [Monotone-devel] some observations about roster node IDs

From: Zack Weinberg
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] some observations about roster node IDs
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 23:18:50 -0700

On 6/28/07, Nathaniel Smith <address@hidden> wrote:
Blah.  I assume you've also checked that you're not using one of the
recent kernels that broke oprofile.

??? News to me.  I'm using whatever Debian's latest packaged amd64 kernel is.

Also, how the hell do you tell a client to use a Unix domain socket to
which you have attached a --stdio server?

> Pull, checkout, large updates, merge were what I was thinking of.
> unify_rosters, but I don't know what hits that.

large pulls in the limit are the same as regenerate_rosters, modulo
the stuff I mentioned about caches.

So if regenerate_rosters were fixed to use the heights toposort, it
would be a better approximation to pull?  That might be worth doing
just for that.  (also to only have one toposort ;-)

unify_rosters is used by
make_roster_for_merge_revision, which is mostly called by
pull/regenerate_rosters (though also called once for all workspace
operations in a merge workspace).  Update/merge/other workspace
operations only have to touch one or two rosters, though, as opposed
to 10,000, so they're generally much less sensitive to the speed of
the roster code itself.  (Esp. for any workspace operation, workspace
scanning is going to dominate any piddly hash-table lookups.)

So what's slow *besides* roster bashing?

zw