Re: [Monotone-devel] Time to create a monotone cluster?

From: Richard Levitte
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Time to create a monotone cluster?
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 16:34:59 +0200 (CEST)

In message <address@hidden> on Thu, 05 Jul 2007 14:41:30 +0200 (CEST), Richard
Levitte <address@hidden> said:

richard> I've revisited this, especially in light of the new lua function
richard> server_request_sync, and have created a lua script
richard> monotone-cluster-push.lua.  It only does one thing, to push changes to
richard> other servers based on a configuration file that maps patterns to
richard> servers to push to.
richard>
richard> I'm currently testing it on monotone.ca, trying to push to venge.net
richard> and monotone.mtn-host.prjek.net.  I'm currently avoiding that other
richard> server, 204.152.190.23, because I got a weird error with my server
richard> trying to connect to 0.0.0.0 and failing miserably...

That problem was solved, the problem was with venge.net who refuses
connections, and the code in netsync would throw an exception instead
of just catching it.  That has now been fixed.

At this point, monotone-cluster-sync.lua seems to be good enough to
make a real cluster, provided those who want to participate share
their server keys and that we place their identities in our respective
write-permissions.

Of course, when T Brownaw is done with his policy branch stuff, it
will hopefully integrate, and we will have less of a hassle
controlling the cluster (provided we really build one).

Now, maybe there should be a common name that can be used to reach all
participants.  That would be something to do in DNS, like this:

        mtn.monotone.ca.        IN A    <server1-address>
                                IN A    <server2-address>

Richard  (who plans to experiment with this kind of stuff for other
          projects)

-----

                                        http://richard.levitte.org/

                                                -- C.S. Lewis