Re: [Monotone-devel] New commands (for mtn, in lua)

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] New commands (for mtn, in lua)
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2007 10:27:15 +0200

William Uther schrieb:
>   Anyway, it seemed that adding new commands to monotone was a hassle,
> and just introduced more design questions.  People suggested I should
> use scripting outside of monotone, but I wanted a cross-platform
> solution.  In the end, I decided to use the lua scripting within
> monotone, and the net.venge.monotone.lua_cmds branch was born.

Very cool!

> I also added automate versions of the following normal commands: push,
> pull, sync, merge, update and commit.  These are currently not very
> 'automate' friendly in that they still output everything to standard
> out.  They work for this purpose though.

Very interesting for me as well. Do you plan to implement some kind of
ticker support for the netsync commands as well? This would be
especially useful when other people like me call it over stdio and want
to give a user feedback how long the operation is going to last and if -
at all - revisions / certs arrived.

> If I was really going to do this right, I think we should replace the
> entire command/options C++ codebase with a lua version, and allow it all
> the be scripted/modified.

I had a similar idea a while back, though I don't know if this finds
support from the other devs. Basically only having automate versions
coded directly into mtn and doing all the fancy cmdline output with
separated code. This also avoids the hassle to copy the code for most of
the functions which are identical in mtn and mtn automate (I guess this
is what you did for automate push/pull/sync/merge/update/commit).

Thomas.

--
ICQ: 85945241 | SIP: 1-747-027-0392 | http://www.thomaskeller.biz