Re: [Monotone-devel] Packages for Debian testing

From: Ludovic Brenta
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Packages for Debian testing
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2007 00:25:20 +0200

Zack Weinberg writes:
> On 7/7/07, Ludovic Brenta <address@hidden> wrote:
>> I looked at the changelog, and indeed it has branches.  For example
>> the current changelog (0.33-2) does not list 0.31-8 (or -7) at all.
>
> Argh.
>
>> So I closed the two bugs; they will not block monotone from going into
>> testing.
>
> Was that really the right thing to do?  Those bugs are real and
> present in 0.33-2; it's just that they're in 0.31-8 as well...

The bugs said "FTBFS" but 0.33-2 built just fine on all architectures,
so the bugs are gone.  That's why I closed them.

>> However, boost has been blocked for 53 days by 2 RC bugs;
>> one of them is fixed in experimental but the other one (#429533) seems
>> problematic.
>>
>> The 0.33-2 in unstable is built against boost 1.34.0-1, which has both
>> bugs.
>
> Double argh, and IMO entirely destroys the point of doing 0.33-2 at
> all; it was supposed to be built against 1.33.1, to avoid those
> problems and the known bugs in monotone <=0.35 when boost 1.34 is in
> use!

Yes.  If you want a recent version of monotone on an older version of
libraries, the only solution right now is www.backports.org, i.e. the
latest version of monotone running on Etch, i.e. using g++-4.1 and
boost 1.33.1-10.

> ... however, I have just installed the 0.33-2 package from unstable,
> and it sure *looks* like it's built against boost 1.33; are you sure?

It is a coincidence that you use the same architecture as Shaun
(i386).  I'm on amd64, and I would use the version just built against
boost 1.34 on the buildds.

>> Also, it was built with g++-4.2 (the new default C++ compiler
>> as of two weeks ago), so watch out for any bugs.
>
> ... according to mtn --full-version, this is not true either.

Ditto.

>> I think it is appropriate to allow the package to mature a little
>> more in unstable.
>
> I'm not proposing to push it in ahead of the 10-day window, but I'd
> like to see it go in as soon as possible after that.

Me too, but "as soon as possible" really depends on boost.  I suggest
you contact the boost maintainers, chip in on monotone using the
single-threaded version of boost (see the last comment in #429533),
and ask what the boost maintainers' plans are regarding the two RC
bugs.

--
Ludovic Brenta.