Re: [Monotone-devel] turning execute attribute on

From: Derek Scherger
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] turning execute attribute on
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 22:28:29 -0600

Brian May wrote:

>     Nathaniel> On Tue, Jul 17, 2007 at 10:35:48AM +1000, Brian May wrote:
>     >> address@hidden:~/tree/config$ mtn set modules/global/bin/fsh
>     >> mtn:execute true mtn: misuse: error converting 22 UTF-8 bytes
>     >> to IDNA ACE: non-LDH characters
>
>     Nathaniel> You mean 'attr set'.
>
>     Nathaniel> UI fixes welcome.
>
> Thanks. Typo :-(.
>
> However I am still confused with that message... What is a non-LDH
> character?

Letter/Digit/Hyphen

Apparently database var names are restricted to this subset of valid
characters.

In terms of the UI's two different types of set commands, I wonder if
the database variable commands should be bona-fide db or var subcommands
rather than top level commands?

We have these commands for attrs:

        attr set PATH ATTR VALUE
        attr get PATH [ATTR]
        attr drop PATH [ATTR]

and these for vars:

        set DOMAIN NAME VALUE
        unset DOMAIN NAME
        ls vars [DOMAIN]

Perhaps the var commands would be more consistent as:

        var set DOMAIN NAME VALUE
        var get [DOMAIN [NAME]]
        var drop DOMAIN [NAME]

However,

- I wonder whether "drop" should be "remove" or something more
  bitwise get/set-ish like "clear"
- bare "var get" seems a bit odd... perhaps "var list" would be better
  but then we'd be inconsistent unless we had "attr list" which isn't
  so bad but then should probably be list attrs to fit in with the
  current list commands which themselves need help
- drop DOMAIN (with no specific variable seems a bit prone to foot
  shooting
- looking at the list commands there are a few things that might be
  better as varous subcommands

Consider the key commands

        passphrase
        genkey
        dropkey
        privkey
        pubkey
        read
        ls keys

Perhaps a set of key subcommands would be better

        key passphrase
        key create
        key remove
        key dump
        key load
        key list

A few different commands like these and branch/tag/cert/etc. may fall
into a basic create/remove/list pattern with some specific variations. I
wonder if we could get rid of a bunch of the different list commands and
perhaps only use list for paths (known/unknown/ignored/missing/...) or
maybe get rid of list entirely?

Cheers,
Derek