Re: [Monotone-devel] broken UI for mtn commit

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] broken UI for mtn commit
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 14:25:41 -0700

On Wed, Aug 01, 2007 at 04:22:07PM +0200, Koen Kooi wrote:
> address@hidden:~/packages/raw-tools$ mtn commit exiv2_0.15.bb
> mtn: warning: restriction excludes addition of 'packages/raw-tools' but
> includes addition
> of 'packages/raw-tools/exiv2_0.15.bb'
>
> Can someone *please* explain why this still hasn't been fixed the past 6
> releases or so?

Not only will I explain, I'll do it retroactively :-):

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.monotone.devel/7689/focus=7701

I don't believe anything has changed since that thread, and in
particular, you still haven't admitted that there are any potential
issues with what you want, just repeated the original complaint at
random intervals and ignored responses.  That makes it a bit hard to
figure out the best way to resolve those issues, and we can't give you
what you want without resolving those issues.

What do *you* think should happen with cases involving directory
renames and drops, rather than just adds?  There's one example in that
email, here's another:

$ mtn rename foo/ bar/
$ mtn mkdir foo
$ echo 'blah' > foo/blah.txt
$ mtn add foo/blah.txt
$ mtn ci foo/blah.txt

Should this automatically commit the rename of old-foo/ to bar/?

Here's another:

$ mtn drop bar/
$ mtn rename foo/ bar/
$ mtn mkdir foo
$ echo 'blah' > foo/blah.txt
$ mtn ci foo/blah.txt

Should this automatically commit the deletion of old-bar/, and the
rename of old-foo/ to bar/?

Here's another:

$ mtn rename foo/ bar/
$ echo 'blah' > bar/blah.txt
$ mtn add bar/blah.txt
$ mtn ci bar/blah.txt

Should this automatically commit the rename of foo/ to bar/?

I'm not throwing these question at you to say what you want is too
hard, maybe there are good answers to all of them.  But we physically
can't add support for automatically expanding restrictions to include
other random things without having *some* answer to these questions.

"The problem...is that sets have a very limited range of
activities -- they can't carry pianos, for example, nor drink
beer."