[Monotone-devel] Re: beginner's question: write permission prob

From: Timothy Brownawell
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: beginner's question: write permission prob
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 07:26:50 -0500

On Wed, 2007-08-01 at 21:43 -0700, Joe Brenner wrote:
> I'm trying to get a simple monotone setup working over my internal
> network, and I'm seeing a permissions problem: I can get read access,
> but not write access.  I've run out of ideas for things to check, and
> I'm looking for suggestions.

> On the server:

>   function get_netsync_read_permitted (collection, identity)
>   if (identity == "address@hidden") then return true end
>     return false
>   end
>
>   function get_netsync_write_permitted (collection, identity)
>     if (identity == "address@hidden") then return true end
>     return false
>   end

Since 0.20, write permission is all or nothing, and this hook only takes
one argument, "identity". Since you have "identity" being the second
argument, it will always be nil. (Also since 0.20, the "collection"
argument to get_netsync_read_permitted has become "branch", and it is
called for each branch that would be sent to the client.)

The read-permissions and write-permissions files are checked by the
default versions of these hooks. I'd recommend that you delete your
versions of these hooks and just use those files, unless you need
something fancy.

>   function get_netsync_anonymous_read_permitted (collection)
>     return false
>   end

This hook was removed in 0.22. Instead, get_netsync_read_permitted is
called with "identity" set to nil.