Re: [Monotone-devel] Speeding up automate stdio

From: Patrick Georgi
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Speeding up automate stdio
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2007 23:08:17 +0200

Nathaniel Smith wrote:
This last part sounds like a bug -- transaction guards are supposed to
nest, so that if we are already in a transaction all that they should
do is increment a variable somewhere.
Hmm.. Did I forget the bit about the unscientific benchmark? Maybe that fooled me here (but 4:00 -> 3:30 seems to be a large error margin) I also read the code wrongly and thought that the guards commit every x-th invocation, but that's actually a checkpointing mode.
Fixing this would help with some of your later concerns about removing
transaction guards as well, since there should never be any reason to
remove a transaction guard...
In this case, this change would be trivial (add an option, look for it and create a global transaction guard)
You might also want to look into the "checkpoint" (IIRC it's called
that) functionality, if you're thinking about automate stdio and
transactions.
It might be good to provide an "automate commit" then (so that the user of automate stdio can decide when to commit, eg. when a full revision was pushed into mtn).

Thank you for the feedback!

Regards,
Patrick Georgi