Re: [Monotone-devel] 216 invalid_--root_settings FAIL (line 13)

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] 216 invalid_--root_settings FAIL (line 13)
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2007 18:55:20 -0700

On Sun, Aug 05, 2007 at 10:06:25PM +0200, Thomas Keller wrote:
> Hrm, ignore me. This is actually tested one line below the currently
> tested directory. Is this test "workspace outside of root" really
> needed?

Only if we expect our code to do something reasonable when given
arbitrary inputs.  (I.e., yes.)

> The only thing which
> comes into my mind is to create a temp directory under /tmp, restrict to
> that, test and remove it afterwards.

That sounds like the right solution to me, actually.  (We already have
code to create temp directories, surely?)

So let us espouse a less contested notion of truth and falsehood, even
if it is philosophically debatable (if we listen to philosophers, we
must debate everything, and there would be no end to the discussion).
  -- Serendipities, Umberto Eco